Wednesday, June 1, 2016

How Do You Deal With A Leader Who has Never Followed?

I felt this would be a great title. How Do You Deal With a Leader Who Has Never Followed? (GS) A friend of mine called me the other day and she posed this question to me because she was dealing with a challenging situation, matter of fact she is the same friend who gave me the quote "Don't Sit: Serve." Which was pertaining to another challenging situation and she asked 'why do people come to church or get involved in an org. but they "sit and don't serve" she said "don't sit: serve. (GS). Her questions can turn out to be neat little quotes that speak volumes. So I used her initials behind her quotes. (GS)

Anyway back on track: I thought about her question and it made sense to me, how can you lead and you have never followed. No one should be allowed to give orders who can’t obey orders. This is how great leaders model to their own followers the standards of acceptable behavior. Jesus showed us that to lead is to serve. Leadership starts with a basin of water and a towel, a moment often overlooked. Jesus was selective in who He picked to follow Him. He chose fishermen not princes, to be His ambassadors. Fishermen were used to: working long hours; working hard; working cooperatively; working in dangerous conditions; preparing for work (net mending etc.) when they had slack time; answering the call for help when needed. They had the qualities needed to give their all for their Savior and His great commission given to them. This is why they were great leaders because they learned how to follow in Jesus footsteps before going out on their own to lead.

In case you don’t know, I started the ministry in 2008 but didn’t become a Pastor until 2014. Why not?  Because God knew I wasn’t ready for that yet.  Before I could lead I had to learn to follow. I felt God was calling me in the 90's but I knew then I wasn't ready. In 2008 is when I started my ministry in evangelism, although I was involved more in revivals and crusades, I felt I still needed more to take on the role as pastor in a leadership position, I even fought for years going inside the walls in a leadership position. 10 years it took, well almost 10 years and all 10 years I spent wanting to be a leader, but learning to submit to one.  Now I’m in my 2nd year here of saying, Lord, I made it as a Pastor! I was like the person who traveled w/ the circus, scooping up what the elephants left behind them.  Someone said to him, you ought to quit...this is the worst job in the world.  He replied, “What? And leave show business?”  I cleaned the toilets at church, mopped the floors, emptied the trash, washed the walls, hauled garbage in my vehicle picked people up for service and if anyone suggested I quit and do something else I said, “What?  And leave the ministry?”  God was preparing me, and today I’m so glad I spent that time learning rather than leading, and that makes me want to patiently wait even today for all God has planned for us right here! Someone saw me at church last Sunday after everyone had left and said why are you emptying the trash, you can't do that, we have to have someone to do that, I have to get on someone about this and I said, this is nothing, we do what we have to do. It's a part of the ministry.

When someone asks me how do they select people to be on their team? The advice I share is: In your selection process, first pray for discernment; ask God to give you people with the same passion, drive, people who can submit to authority, people who are team players, people who can follow. The same apply when you place people in leadership roles. In your decision pray for discernment in making your selection or choice. You should look at their characteristics, do they possess any skills of a person who has not only been a leader but also followed others in leadership. Sometimes we want friends and family in leadership roles that have never followed and that’s okay if they can understand protocol in submitting to authority and learn how to follow. Sometimes you don’t have to go looking; God will send these people to you. Just the people you have specified. This has worked for me when I include God in the choices and the selection process, He will give us what and who we need.

If you want to be a great leader, you must first become a great follower. This is where almost all of history’s greatest leaders got their start.

Joshua followed Moses for more than forty years before he led the children of Israel into the promised land.

Elisha served Elijah for ten years before he took up his master’s mantle and went on to perform even more miracles.

The Apostle Peter followed Jesus for three years—and made a lot of mistakes—before he and his fellow-disciples “turned the world upside down” (see Acts 17:6).

I would likewise contend that history’s worst leaders never learned to follow. As a result, they became tyrants, making the lives of their own followers miserable.
So what does a great follower look like? Here are least five characteristics that great followers share: (MH)

“They are clear. They understand their role. You can’t be a good follower unless you have clearly identified the leader. While you may be a leader in your own realm, everyone has a boss—including you. Great followers not only accept this fact but embrace it.

They are obedient. While obedience may be a politically incorrect concept, it is essential for organizational effectiveness. No one should be allowed to give orders who can’t obey orders. This is how great leaders model to their own followers the standards of acceptable behavior.

They are servants. This is crucial. Great followers are observant. They notice what needs to be done to help the leader accomplish his or her goals. Then they do it—joyfully, without grumbling or complaining.

They are humble. Great followers don’t make it about them. They are humble. They shine the light on the leader. They make their own boss look good—especially in front of his or her boss.

They are loyal. Great followers never speak ill of their leader in public. This doesn’t mean they can’t disagree or even criticize. It just means that they don’t do it in public. Great followers understand that public loyalty leads to private influence.”

The question naturally arises...Do we, you and I, have those same qualities and that same dedication? 

Blessings
J.P. Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment