Sunday, August 28, 2016

Why David Was A Man After God's Own Heart. Which of These Areas Need Your Greatest Attention For Improvement?


Why David was a “Man After God’s Own Heart” Have you had a hard time letting go of your past and accepting God’s grace in your life Read below why David was a"Man After God's Own Heart.  Acts 13:22 says, “After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.‘”

Nevertheless, for David’s sake the LORD his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem by raising up a son to succeed him and by making Jerusalem strong. For David had done what was right in the eyes of the LORD and had not failed to keep any of the LORD’s commands all the days of his life—except in the case of Uriah the Hittite. 1 Kings 15:4-5 NIV  (Emphasis mine)


Do you see that?  After David’s life had ended, God’s word still records him as a man following after God’s own heart…except in the case of the fall with Bathsheba.

What’s my point?  How does that impact your life?


That one “except” in your life….that one moment…that one season…that period of indiscretion…does not disqualify you from being a man (or woman) after God’s own heart.  I know too many people who have disqualified themselves from God’s call on their life because of their past mistakes, but I’m not sure God has disqualified them. Bottom line:  Your actions don’t determine your standing with God; your heart does. Actions indicate a heart’s direction, so if there is repetitive, unrepentant sin in your life, one would have to question your heart, but if your heart desires to be like Christ and give Him glory with your life, don’t beat yourself up for your exceptions.  Keep in mind, people can say about you whatever they choose to, but no one knows your heart (other than God) like you do.


An often-confusing term concerning the Biblical character of David is the term “man after God’s own heart”. Have you ever wondered what that really means? What does that kind of heart even look like? There is one verse from the writings of David that I believe perhaps best captures the meaning behind this phrase.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”

(Psalms 16:2)

That’s it. Pretty simple, huh?

But, it’s really not that simple.

David recognized that the only good in him was the God in him. Great godly leaders and people are willing to step aside from their own need for ego building and self-confidence and humble themselves before an almighty God.
 
Next time someone asks you why David was called “a man after God’s own heart”, point him or her to Psalm 16:2. It’s an attitude of heart…of recognition…of worship.

The following words describe the heart of David as seen in his own writings:

David had an attitude of heart and God recognized all of these attributes of David.


Humble – Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath. Psalm 62:9

Reverent – I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:3

Respectful – Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. Psalm 31:9

Trusting – The LORD is my light and my salvation– whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life– of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

Loving – I love you, O Lord, my strength. Psalm 18:1

Devoted – You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. Psalm 4:7

Recognition – I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. Psalm 9:1

Faithful – Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23:6

Obedient – Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Psalm 119:34

Repentant – For the sake of your name, O Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Psalm 25:11

David’s example is a great road map for how we are to live our life.


Which of these areas need your greatest attention for improvement? Focus your life from this day forward on being like Christ and being found faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment