Friday, October 28, 2016

Even When The Messenger Is Flawed, The Message Is Still Flawless!

Even when the messenger is flawed, the Message is still flawless!  The failure of the messenger does not change the truth of the message.  The Christian who is in a seeker's life every day has far more impact than any Christian in the spotlight. I am the face, the voice, the proof of Jesus to the unbelievers in my personal world for better or for worse. It's always important that I walk the talk.

I can think of two ways that we're failing the world and our Lord. One has to do with a flawed message that obscures the true Message. Here are three reasons why I think the light is so often obscured.

First, FLAWED MESSENGERS: Over and over, a watching world sees well-known Christians suddenly disgraced by a dark secret. You can probably think of some pastors, mega church "stars," TV personalities, athletes, politicians. And folks who don't like the message can now find another "hypocrite" to hide behind.

The failure of the messenger does not change the truth of the message. Jesus said, "Follow Me." Not follow My followers. He said, "I am the Way" (John 14:6). Not, "I will show you the way." He told us, "I am the resurrection and the life...he who believes in Me will live, even though he dies" (John 11:25). Not, believe in someone who practices the Christian religion. No, He said, "Believe in Me. Follow Me." Therefore, I don’t want you to think I’m letting folks off the hook.

Even when the messenger is flawed, the Message is still flawless! Jesus made it all about Jesus. So while a hypocrite might provide an excuse for not believing, they don't provide a valid reason. Because it's what we do (personally) with Jesus that determines our eternity. In fact, that's the question you will face when you see God. "What did you do with My Son who died on a cross for you?" So, this does not take away people (or unbelievers) personal accountability to receive, follow and obey Christ. But we are His messengers with His message of salvation, healing, deliverance and change, and when we handle the message haphazardly, it causes harm to them that have yet to believe.

First, each Jesus-follower's life is either a reason for someone to check out Jesus or check out on Jesus. You see, if I drift away from Him, I take watching unbelievers with me. That's why Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:12, "…We would rather put up with anything than be an obstacle to the Good News about Christ." (NLT) And Peter said, "Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when He judges the world." (1 Peter 2:12 NLT). So, my little "sin fling" or spiritual detour will cost me God's blessing. However, what’s even more important is that it could also cost those watching me their eternity!

Then secondly, every time a public Christian is discredited, the importance of the everyday Christian is elevated. The Christian who is in a seeker's life every day has far more impact than any Christian in the spotlight. I am the face, the voice, the proof of Jesus to the unbelievers in my personal world for better or for worse. It's always important that I walk the talk.

Thirdly, I think our message can be obscured by our BAGGAGE. The Gospel is compelling when it's just the Gospel. But some people never get to the Gospel because of the baggage we encumber it with: church, denomination, culture wars, rules, condemning people's lifestyles. However, the fact remains, it's all about Jesus! Even Jesus made it all about Jesus with His simple invitation; "Follow Me" (Mark 1:17). "Come to Me" (Matthew 11:28). "Believe in Me" (John 14:1)
Believers, we play a huge part in the eternity of others. People listen to what we say about our Savior, but more importantly, they watch to see if we’re living what we say. Which reminds me of something I once read that said: “There are five Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke, John - and the Christian. Most people never read the first four.” (Author Unknown) That observation, made a long time ago, could not be truer today. I, and you, are Living Epistles; we’re Human Bibles that unbelievers are reading daily, whether we’re at work, in church, in the Laundromat, in traffic, or on a Friday orSaturday night. People are reading us as the Word and Work of God.

If our world's getting darker, then something must be wrong with what folks are "reading," in the Christians - the messengers – the light of the world - they know. And truth is, the problem isn’t the message, and it’s not about the messenger, but actually, with the way the messenger represents the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment